paris apartments furnished in paris vacation rentals holidays apartments

Victor Hugo lived from 1832 to 1848 in an apartment located on the second floor of the Hôtel de Rohan-Guemenee.  The hotel, among the finest in the Place Royale (now Place des Vosges), was built by Isaac Arnold, Advisor to the king and minister of Finance, to which the site was sold in June 1605, upon subdivision Park Tournelles at the time of the design space. Sold in 1612 to the Marquis de Lavardin and in 1621 to Pierre Jacquet, lord of Tigery, the hotel became the property of Louis de Rohan, prince of Guemenee and remained in that illustrious family until 1784. Two balconies, now extinct, were built in 1785, the first and second floor. In 1797, the hotel came into the family Pean de Saint-Gilles was then sold by his descendants in 1873 in the City of Paris. There was a school then transferred.  The hotel is composed of a main building on the square and two wings with ten windows of each facade overlooking the courtyard. The latter, lined with stables and sheds, communicated with the dead Guemenee. New interiors were made during the second half of the nineteenth century. In 1902, the centenary of the birth of Victor Hugo, at the initiative of Paul Meurice could be created the museum. This faithful friend donated to the city of Paris with a collection of drawings of the poet, books, manuscripts, furniture and objects, he completed orders and purchasing to many contemporary artists.  The inauguration of the Maison de Victor Hugo took place June 30, 1903