Russe de Paris Saint-Alexandre Nevski
Eglise Russe Saint-Alexandre
Daru, 75008 Paris.
Russian Church of Paris is discreetly located in a beautiful
middle-class arrondissement, rue Daru. It is especially attended by the
Russian and orthodox community Parisian. Although Parisian, it has a
completely European radiation since, as a cathedral, it shelters the
Seat of the archbishop's palace of the Russian Orthodox Churches in
Western Europe. Since 1931, it depends from Istanbul. The name of
Alexandre Nevski comes from the Russian national hero who saved the
country in the war against Swedish in 1240 near the Neva river.
Afterwards, he was then canonized. The church was built in
on the initiative of the father Joseph Vassiliev, chaplain at the
Embassy of Russia at the time. Due to a courageous work of collection
from all the Russian community, helped by the personal contribution of
the tsar Alexandre II, the imposing church was drawn by two personal
architects of the tsar then immediately built. This church shelters two
parishes, which do each one their mass in French and Slavon. The mosaic
of the pediment suggests Byzantine art. The 5 bulbs which surmount the
building evoke the Christ escorted by the four evangelists. Picasso
married there with Olga Koklova in 1918. Tourgueniev, Chaliapine,
Kandinsky, were honored there after their death.
Parisbestlodge. Free photographies available in high resolution upon